If you are planning on sharing your apartment or home with a roommate, it is important to set expectations and boundaries from the start. One way to do this is by creating a rental agreement. A rental agreement outlines the terms and conditions of living together, including rent, utilities, and responsibilities. Having a written agreement can help prevent misunderstandings and potential conflicts.
Here is a sample rental agreement for roommates:
1. Rent: The monthly rent for the apartment will be divided equally between the roommates. The rent will be due on the first of the month.
2. Security deposit: A security deposit of (insert amount) will be required from each roommate. This deposit will be returned at the end of the lease, provided there is no damage to the apartment or any unpaid rent.
3. Utilities: The roommates will split the cost of all utilities equally, including electricity, gas, water, and internet.
4. Maintenance and repairs: The roommates will be responsible for keeping the apartment clean and tidy. If any repairs are needed, the roommates will notify the landlord immediately. If the damage is caused by a roommate`s negligence or misuse, that roommate will be responsible for the cost of repairs.
5. Guests: Roommates are allowed to have guests, but all guests must respect the rules of the apartment and not cause any disturbance to other tenants.
6. Pet policy: If pets are allowed in the apartment, the roommates will agree on specific pet rules, including who will take care of the pet and how any damages caused by the pet will be handled.
7. Landlord access: The landlord will have reasonable access to the apartment for maintenance and repairs.
8. Termination of agreement: If one of the roommates wishes to terminate the agreement, they must provide at least 30 days` notice to the other roommates and the landlord.
9. Agreement modifications: Any changes to the rental agreement must be agreed upon by all roommates and the landlord.
10. Additional provisions: Any additional provisions should be included in the rental agreement before it is signed.
Creating a rental agreement for roommates can help clarify expectations and prevent any future conflicts. Be sure to read the agreement carefully and make sure all parties understand and agree to the terms before signing.